Throughout the summer of 2017, the Pennsylvania Department of Education, through Project PA will once again be offering Culinary Training Sessions for School Food Service Personnel. These sessions are designed to help you plan, prepare, and present attractive meals that students will enjoy. Changes to this summer’s sessions include the introduction of breakfast recipes and scholarship funding available to attend these free sessions.
Registration is free.
Space at these sessions is limited. Registration is first-come, first-served. Registration will be closed when site capacity is reached or one week prior to the start of each session, whichever comes first.
- School districts/LEAs may register up to 2 individuals. Additional individuals per district/LEA will be placed on a waiting list.
- Priority will be given to school district/LEA employees. Employees of food service management companies will be put on a waiting list.
- If you attended a culinary training session in the summer of 2015 or 2016 and would like to attend again, you will be put on a waiting list. Click or Tap Here to be placed on a waiting list.
If space is available on May 15th, individuals on the waiting list will be contacted and invited to attend in the order in which they were put on the waiting list.
16 Hours of Professional Development Credits!
These sessions provide 16 hours of training. PDE allows carryover of training hours to the previous or subsequent school year as long as some training occurs each school year.
New This Year
A limited amount of funding is available to support attendance at these free sessions. This funding support could be used to cover costs such as mileage, lodging (if needed), or staff time. Scholarships of approximately $300 will be available for approximately 5 individuals per session. Payments will be made to the school district/LEA. If interested in being considered for this funding, during the registration process you will be asked to describe your need for this funding. Funding announcements will be made in late May.
For Your Information
- These are hands-on sessions led by a certified chef. Participants will be preparing recipes that will be served for lunch.
- Topics to be covered will include knife skills, vegetable cookery, salads and dressings, dried beans/legumes and grains, seasonings and flavorings, food presentation, and more.
- Each participant should bring the following:
- Chef-type knife (sharp and in good condition) with either an 8” or 10” blade* (Please transport in a safe manner.)
- A 15” x 20” poly-type cutting board (white or green)
- Vegetable peeler
Please label these items with your name to ensure that you leave with the items you brought. You will need the items listed above each day.
The sessions involve hands-on food preparation and demonstrations. You will be standing for much of the time. If you have difficulty standing for long periods of time you may want to bring an anti-fatigue mat.
Because these are hands-on sessions, please wear appropriate food preparation attire (e.g. closed-toe shoes, etc.).
Please do not contact the sites to register. All registration will be conducted through Project PA.
Each session will be 2 days:
Day 1: 9:00am – 4:30pm
Day 2: 8:00am – 4:30pm
10 Sessions will be offered in 10 locations:
Click or Tap on Calendar Date to Register for that Culinary Training Site.